Hampshire Macmillan Citizens Advice Service (HMCAS)
"They provide an invaluable service to hundreds of our cancer patients and families.
The advisers are professional, warm and very skilled."
Feedback on HMCAS from a 'Head of Cancer Nursing'.
This service provides a consistent, targeted and holistic advice service for people affected by cancer who are resident in or being treated in Hampshire, including Southampton, Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.
A team of caseworkers and support workers provide specialist advice and casework face-to-face, through a telephone helpline and via email/letters.
In the last year we had an increase of 20% in the number of clients helped and secured financial gains for clients of almost £7.5m.Results from our survey of professional medical staff evidenced that our Service is a vital link between nurses and patients with an average of 2.5 hours per patient saved in time by professional staff.
The largest proportion of clients first contact us through our telephone helpline but a large number also see us for the first time at hospitals, hospices or other outreaches.
- Southampton General Hospital – Monday/Wednesday/Thursday
- Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth – Monday/Wednesday
- Gosport War Memorial hospital – Thursday morning by appointment
- Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Winchester – Wednesday afternoon
- Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital – Wednesday/Thursday
- St Mary’s Hospital, Isle of Wight – by appointment
- Oakhaven Hospice, Lymington – Twice monthly, Tuesday and Thursday
- The Rowans Hospice, Purbrook – Thursdays, weeks 2 and 4
- Countess Mountbatten Hospice (varying) - Tuesdays/Wednesdays
- Waterside Centre, Hythe – Third Monday of month
Core funding is provided by Macmillan Cancer Support. In addition, last year we received funding from Countess Mountbatten Hospice Charity, The Ark Cancer Centre Charity for Hampshire Hospitals Foundation Trust, Oakhaven Hospice Trust, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Rowans Hospice and Southampton Hospital Charity.
Contact the service on 0344 847 7727
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Monday to Friday or drop into any Local Citizens Advice.
Please download our leaflet for more information on the service
To see how the service is performing you can download our latest Annual Report below: